Assist head coach with planning, organizing, and directing one of the University-sponsored athletic programs.
This position receives general supervision. Broad instructions are provided and the staff member uses judgment and experience to carry out assignments. Completed assignments and finished products are reviewed by the supervisor after completion.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Instruct student-athletes individually or in groups in techniques and fundamentals of the respective sport.
- Organize and execute effective team practices and coaching under the direction of the head coach.
- Assist head coach with player assessment, game strategy, and game film review.
- Identify, evaluate, and encourage application and acceptance of student-athletes in accordance with University, NCAA, and SAA policies and regulations.
- Participate in speaking engagements for the Sewanee Club and support community initiatives.
- Instruct students in one or more physical education courses.
- Perform collateral departmental duties, as required, such as intramural coordination, event management or coaching a secondary sport.
The performance of the essential duties of this position is dependent upon independent ingenuity and developmental efforts.
- Student Contact: Daily; recruiting, conducting campus visits, instructing physical education classes, coaching
- Internal: Periodic; addressing student athletes’ schedule problems, academic problems, or personal issues; collaborating with the Office of Admissions in recruiting efforts.
- External: Periodic; scheduling events/competitions with other institutions, periodic; communicating with parents of student-athletes, alumni groups, and media
Attributes of a Successful Candidate
Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education or related field.
1-3 years coaching experience at high school or collegiate level or experience competing as an athlete at the collegiate level, Knowledge of NCAA rules & regulations.
Licenses & Certifications:
Valid Tennessee Driver’s license; NCAA Compliance certification.
Game plans; dealing with matters of a highly sensitive or personal nature regarding student-athletes
Work is performed in an office environment with a significant amount of time spent either outdoors on playing fields, in the pool area, or other athletic facilities as a specific sport(s) requires. Significant travel is required for recruiting and competition.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to walk for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to climb (many stairs, and ladders).
- Must be able to crawl and or kneel.
- Must be able to push and/or pull objects.
- Must be able to use feet for repetitive tasks.
- Must be able to use hands for repetitive tasks.
- Must be able to lift between 21-50 pounds (Medium work).
- Must be able to carry between 21-50 pounds (Medium work)
Any additional requirements specific to this position:
- Must be able to wear an approved mask for prolonged periods while performing job duties and responsibilities.
- Employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to an approved medical or religious exemption.
DEI Institutional Statement:
At the University of the South, our commitment to inclusion and belonging is grounded in our core values of community, courage, flourishing, and inquiry. We seek to build a community enriched by our diversity and centered on equity, justice, mutual respect, and shared responsibility.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of the South is an equal opportunity educational institution that is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive campus environment.