Whitman College, a member of the NCAA Division III, and Northwest Conference is seeking an Assistant Coach for Women's Tennis. The College's varsity women's tennis program has a strong history of rigorous academics and competitive success at the national level. The assistant coach is instrumental in all aspects of coaching, practice and game preparation, and recruitment of prospective student-athletes. Whether you're looking for a place and a mentor to develop your coaching career for the next level, or to wind down and enjoy the enviable Walla Walla wine country lifestyle, this half time coaching position offers opportunity.
Assist the head coach with all aspects of the Women's Tennis Program.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, assisting the head coach in all aspects of coaching, practice and game preparation, recruitment of prospective student-athletes, travel planning and other administrative duties assigned by the head coach.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Individuals must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of the job.
- Knowledge of NCAA Division III rules and the ability to identify and recruit qualified student-athletes, including the ability to communicate effectively with recruits, parents, and coaches.
- Outstanding skill instruction, strong playing background, and the ability to motivate players in both a practice setting and competitive games.
- Appreciation for the role of intercollegiate athletics in a rigorous academic environment, and the desire to help student-athletes strive for balance in that setting.
- Strong administrative and computer skills, as well as excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Bachelor’s degree and coaching and/or playing experience at the collegiate (or similar) level.
- Must possess excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills. Must be highly motivated, respectful, have the ability to work both independently and in team settings, and have sound decision-making ability in all aspects of the women’s tennis program.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to successfully pass a background check and driving record check.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical.
Must be able to travel by passenger car, van, and airplane. Requires mostly standing, walking, and office work; ability to lift objects or loads weighing up to 50 pounds.