Bates is a highly selective liberal arts college with 31 varsity sports competing in the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC), among the most competitive conferences in NCAA Division III. As an important member of the College’s Department of Athletics, the Coordinator of Events & Intramurals will assist the athletic administration with the supervision and leadership for athletic and recreational events, facilities and programs. This position is responsible for the management of various facets of Division III Athletics contest management, including planning, preparation, and facilitation for regular season and postseason competition for assigned sports. This position will also develop and implement a comprehensive intramural sports program providing a diverse offering of sport activities for students including individual, dual and team sport leagues and tournaments. The Coordinator/Assistant Director assists and supports the day-to-day operations of the athletic facilities, customer service, and will directly supervise event, facility and intramural student employees. The position reports to and receives general direction from the Assistant Athletic Director of Facilities and Recreation.
APPLY NOW! Job Duties:
Event and Facility Management Responsibilities
- Coordinate event operations and logistics for intercollegiate athletic contests, recreational programs, special events, on-campus groups, and external organizations.
- Serve as athletic game day administrator and as point of contact for all non-athletic programmatic events including evening and weekend coverage. Assist with logistics meetings and facility walk-throughs with head coaches and event organizers to determine event needs and scope.
- Complete pre-event operations, venue and equipment set-up/breakdown, crowd control, and serve as liaison to visiting teams/officials.
- Oversee customer service operations related to facility access, guest services, and point of sale operations.
- Create and implement facility and event policies and procedures.
- Assist with preventive, routine and deferred maintenance of athletic facilities and equipment.
- Collaborate in the development and implementation of the safety and risk management procedures including CPR training, emergency action plans, and staff training.
- Assist with the management, operations and scheduling of camps, clinics, and rentals; oversee revenue generation and manage billing, contracts, and reports.
- Recruit, hire, train, schedule and directly supervise facility and event management staff including Contest Operations Attendants, Facility Operations Attendants, score table personnel, and volunteers.
- Assist in coordinating student employee training and development programs; create student learning objectives and assessment initiatives.
- Performs additional duties as assigned including committee membership and department-wide program facilitation.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics and Assistant Director of Athletics.
- Lead the planning, organization, scheduling, administration, and team/participant registration process for a comprehensive intramural program including leagues, tournaments, and special events.
- Recruit, hire, train, manage, schedule and evaluate student employees for intramural programs including Intramural Supervisors and Officials.
- Implement detailed supervisor and official’s training, development and evaluation programs.
- Schedule appropriate facilities for training and programs; coordinate event site preparation including field/court layout, lining, and equipment.
- Create and continually revise an Intramural Sports Participant Handbook including enforcement of policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Working with the Coordinator of Marketing and Promotions for Athletics, implement effective intramural marketing strategies and promote programs to various campus constituents.
- Oversee equipment purchasing and inventory; manage intramural program budget.
- Organize and conduct participant/team meetings, evaluations, focus groups, informal discussion, and written program surveys; monitor and evaluate intramural events on-site as needed.
● Bachelor’s degree required.
● Master’s degree in Physical Education, Sport Management, Recreation, Business, Higher Education, Student Development or related field preferred.
● At least one year paid experience in a professional capacity of an athletic and/or recreation-oriented program (two years as a Graduate Assistant is considered equivalent to one year of experience).
● Event management experience in collegiate athletics or professional sports.
● Demonstrated experience in officiating and training of sport officials.
● Demonstrated success in the development and implementation of recreational programs to a culturally diverse population.
● Demonstrated experience creating policies and procedures.
● Demonstrated experience in athletic facility management.
● Demonstrated experience in managing and organizing intramurals, sport clubs and/or camps.
● Demonstrated experience in hiring and training student employees.
● NIRSA Membership.
● Must be able to work evenings and weekends based on program demands.
Skills and Knowledge
● Must possess well developed communication and interpersonal skills essential to working with large and small groups.
● Familiarity with the academic environment and higher education, preferably the liberal arts.
● Certification in CPR/AED/Basic First Aid preferred or within three months of hire. Preferred Qualifications:
Bates College offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits (health, dental, sick leave, 24 days of vacation, 2 personal days, 12 paid holidays, dependent care subsidy, free parking, access to library and athletic facilities & more) and a supportive, collegial environment in a drug- and smoke-free workplace.