Notre Dame Athletics is committed to building a diverse workforce passionate about maximizing the student-athlete and guest experience. Our pillars of Education, Excellence, Faith, Tradition and Community guide us in the inclusive work we do each and every day and we are eager to attract individuals who can positively contribute to that work. We firmly believe we can all create change together locally and be a catalyst for change nationally through our StaND Together commitment to Listen, Amplify, Focus, Diversify, Engage and Vote.
As a member of the Notre Dame Athletics team, the Head Golf Professional will serve as the leader of the Warren and Burke Golf Courses. Designed by Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw, The Warren Golf Course is a links-style course comfortably nestled on 250 acres on the north edge of the University of Notre Dame campus. The Warren Golf Course was the host venue for the 2010 US Women’s Amateur Public Links Championship as well as the fortieth edition of the US Senior Open Championship in 2019. The course is also the home of the Notre Dame men’s and women’s golf programs and has hosted a number of collegiate tournaments, such as the 2005 and 2010 NCAA Division I Men’s NCAA Regionals and the 2011 and 2015 NCAA Division I Women’s Regionals.
- Establish the annual goals and priorities for golf operations and the maintenance staff to optimize revenue and operate at the lowest possible expense while continuing to improve the quality of the golf course and guest experience
- Develop annual revenue and expense budgets for the Warren Golf Course and Burke Golf Course’s golf and maintenance operations, oversee and provide direction to the respective managers on how to best achieve those goals
- Manage financial and external risks, develop and implement annual marketing and sales plans that result in achieving and surpassing budgeted revenue goals
- Develop standard operating procedures from which the staff operates, coordinate course utilization to achieve the maximum revenue potential while meeting and surpassing the needs of the varsity golf teams, athletic department and other University departments that utilize the golf courses.
- Oversee the daily operations of both golf courses. Ensure all golf staff are carrying out the priorities given them with regard to all aspects of golf course operations (pro shop point-of-sale and reservation systems, carts/GPS system, driving range, merchandise inventory/sales, lessons/clinics, tournament/outings, safe conduct of play (weather, etc.), cleanliness of clubhouse, etc.) and course maintenance operations
- Serve as the building/facility administrator for the Warren Golf Course clubhouse, maintenance facility, Rolf’s Varsity All Season facility and the Burke Golf Course facilities and develop and implement long term plans that will make the golf operations self-sustaining financially
- Serve as the University’s representative on the NCAA, USGA and other golf governing bodies and associations as appropriate
- Propose opportunities and recommendations that will enhance the reputation, recognition and golf related revenue for the department and University
- Coach and counsel management staff to promote career development and succession planning. Communicate the goals of the University and golf operations on an ongoing basis and demonstrate how their individual contributions are vital to the success of the golf course and University mission
- Coordinate and communicate with the men’s and women’s intercollegiate golf coaches, while scheduling the teams course and practice facility schedules to ensure maximum access with minimal disruption to revenue producing and course maintenance activities
- Develop and maintain strong, lasting relationships with both current and potential customers
To join our team you must be driven to lead, educate and serve. There are a great deal of moving parts in this role so organization, effective leadership and strong interpersonal skills are just a few of the qualities we are looking for.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3-5 years of golf course management experience, golf playing and teaching skills proficiency, knowledge of golf operations at both private and public facilities, business management and accounting
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment
- Ability to work flexible hours and attend events including evenings, weekends and holidays
- Possess effective project management skills
- Professional verbal and written communication skills
- Candidate must have a strong work-ethic
- PGA Certification a plus