Juniata College invites applications for a full-time Head Men’s and Women’s Tennis Coach. Juniata is a co-educational, liberal arts college, highly regarded for its academic excellence, with an enrollment of 1,400 students. The Tennis programs compete at home on the Raffensperger Tennis Courts, a premier facility constructed in 2016 as a part of the Winton Hill Athletic Complex. Juniata is a founding member of the highly regarded Landmark Conference, which is committed to conducting intercollegiate athletics programs in a way that recognizes, as paramount, the centrality of the academic mission at each member institution.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to; recruiting, scheduling, budget management, practice and instruction, hiring and management of assistant coaches. Appropriate collateral administrative or coaching responsibilities will be assigned. The ideal candidate will have previous college coaching and/or playing experience and an understanding of the Division III philosophy and its role at a private liberal arts institution. This is a full-time position that offers a twelve month contract. Candidates must have experience recruiting on the collegiate level, possess strong organizational and interpersonal skills, communicate effectively, and demonstrate a willingness to work in a team-oriented environment that values community.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide vision and build a positive team culture committed to the welfare of our student-athletes, a positive representation of the college, academic excellence, citizenship, and competitive success.
- Practice organization, planning, scheduling, preparation, and execution.
- Develop and implement specific training and skill development programs.
- Prepare the team for competitions including; scouting reports, meetings, and instruction.
- Develop and implement appropriate in-competition coaching techniques and strategies.
- Recruit and retain qualified student-athletes.
- Develop and meet recruiting goals in consultation with the Athletics Director and Enrollment.
- Maintain roster sizes in accordance with agreed upon maximum and minimum roster ranges.
- Provide support, oversight, assistance, to student-athletes with regards to academic performance, planning, and success.
- Meet department standards for academic success.
- Effectively manage all aspects of the program’s budget including the purchase of all athletic equipment and supplies, and the management of the programs travel and recruiting budgets.
- Hire, train, mentor, assistant coaches, student-assistants, and student managers.
- Schedule all non-traditional and traditional competitions and practices.
- Develop, recommend, and enforce appropriate levels of discipline, behavior, rules, regulations, and conduct.
- Serve as team spokesman and appropriately represent the program and the college on campus and in the community.
- Ensure adherence to the rules, regulations, and policies of all governing bodies— Juniata College Athletics, Juniata College, Landmark Conference, and National Collegiate Athletic Association.
- Participate in overall administration of the Athletics Department by representing the office as requested and cooperatively assisting colleagues. This includes attending all mandatory department activities and functions, membership on department and campus committees, and participation upon request in enrollment, fundraising, and/or promotional events.
- Serve as game/event manager as requested.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
- Knowledge and capabilities normally acquired through completion of a Bachelor’s Degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of NCAA rules, regulations, and the Division III philosophy.
- Three to five years of collegiate coaching &/or playing experience.
- Demonstrated ability to teach, strategize, recruit, lead, manage, represent, and oversee a nationally competitive athletic program.
Juniata College believes in and embraces the liberal arts and as such, we encourage and seek mutual benefit through diversity of thought and approach which enriches our academic community, as well as the lives of our students and colleagues. Juniata College is committed to creating a welcoming community supported by relationships based on collaboration and mutual respect. We endeavor to create an inclusive learning environment where members with different perspectives and backgrounds can learn, contribute, and thrive. Please join us…