5055 Santa Teresa Blvd. Gilroy, CA 95020
Phone: (408) 846-4964 FAX: (408) 846-4944
HEAD WOMEN’S VOLLEYBALL/
BEACH VOLLEYBALL COACH
Established in 1919, Gavilan College is the ninth oldest California Community College. Gavilan College serves a 2,700 square mile district that encompasses southern Santa Clara County and all of San Benito County. The College maintains a comprehensive campus in Gilroy, CA and four campus centers located in South San Jose, Morgan Hill, San Martin and Hollister. Gavilan College is a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); 58.8% of students are Latinx/Hispanic; 27.6% are white/non-Hispanic; 4.5% are Asian and 2.2% are African-American. Gavilan College serves its community and students by offering high-quality education in more than 70 transfer-related fields and more than 30 industry-relevant career pathways. In 2017-18, Gavilan College awarded more than 500 Associate Degrees and more than 500 career education certificates.
Gavilan College fosters the growth and development of our students and staff as enacted in our Principles of Community. Member of the Gavilan College community value the worth and dignity of every person, the pursuit of truth, devotion to excellence, acquisition of knowledge and the principles of democratic citizenship. Gavilan College faculty and staff strive to maintain these ideals in an environment of inclusiveness mutual respect. The Principles of Community provide the foundation which creates this environment. The College maintains the highest ethical standards to establish and atmosphere of civility, honesty, cooperation, professionalism, and equity; and the College aspires to be diverse, purposeful, inclusive and equitable. The strength of these Principles resides in their ability to create a shared set of values that inform and guide our community’s daily practice. Gavilan College employees live these shared values and work collaboratively to serve as the model of an exemplary, student-centered community-serving college.
Gavilan College seeks qualified and enthusiastic applicants for a full-time tenured track position as Kinesiology Instructor /Head Women’s Volleyball/Beach Volleyball Coach. The position consists of a 40% load as Head Women’s Volleyball/Beach Volleyball Coach and the supporting fundamental class; 60% load will be in teaching various Kinesiology theory and activity classes, as determined by the needs of the college and the qualifications of the selected candidate.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide instruction of 14-16 lecture equivalent hours per semester. This is in accordance with established course outlines and departmental procedures.
• Inform students about course requirements, evaluation procedures, and attendance requirements.
• Maintain necessary attendance and evaluation records and submit them according to designated deadlines.
• Post and maintain regular office hours in accordance with District Policy.
• Assist the Kinesiology Department in identifying and addressing instructional and programmatic needs.
• Participate actively in all full-time faculty responsibilities, such as curriculum review and development,
committee membership, and other duties as described in the Faculty Handbook as required by contract and
• Develop and revise course materials as necessary to assure innovative and creative teaching and learning.
• Communicate and work effectively with students, faculty, staff, and the community.
In conformance with all California Community College Athletic Association, Coast Conference, and District Policies:
• Provide direction for all facets of a successful intercollegiate volleyball and beach volleyball program.
• Develop and implement a strong student-athlete recruitment program with emphasis on local players.
• Assist in building strong relations between the community and the athletic department, particularly with high
schools within the District.
• Monitor and assist student-athletes with their academic progress towards degree completion and transfer. • Attend Conference and State athletic meetings.
• Initial salary placement in the current Faculty Salary Schedule and depends on education and experience. Please see click on salary link below for more information:
Faculty Salary Schedule
Minimum Academic Qualifications:
• Master’s Degree in physical education, exercise science, education with an emphasis in physical education, kinesiology, physiology of exercise or adaptive physical education, OR Bachelor’s Degree in any of the above AND Master’s in any life science, dance physiology, health education, recreation administration, or physical therapy OR the equivalent*
*Individuals lacking the above degree-based academic qualifications, but who may have an equivalent background must submit either an Equivalency Form as part of their application package OR possess a valid lifetime California Community College Instructor Credential that authorizes teaching Physical Education. Contact Human Resources for details about equivalency application.
Foreign degrees must be evaluated by a recognized credential evaluation service, prior to submission.
Required Professional Attributes & Experience:
• A broad background in Kinesiology with the ability to teach a wide range of courses within the discipline.
• Abilities, training, and experience which will assist in defining and establishing new opportunities for students to participate and study Kinesiology.
• Demonstrate ability to teach the courses and effectively perform the duties.
• Academic and experiential breadth that enables the applicant to meet evolving needs of the college.
• A background that demonstrates sensitivity to the social, economic, and the ethnic diversities represented
by community college students.
• Knowledge and skills necessary to implement a student-centered approach to learning that is motivated,
builds self-esteem, and addresses differences in student learning styles and needs.
• Effective computer, oral and written communication skills.
• A background that demonstrates depth and currency in Kinesiology & Athletics.
• Substantial volleyball coaching experience, preferably at the collegiate level.
• Experience in managing and supervising a staff.
• Knowledge and understanding of the California Community College Athletic Association Constitution and
• Experience and knowledge of caring for volleyball facilities.
In consultation with the Dean of Kinesiology and Athletics:
• Prepare volleyball equipment and supply budgets.
• Request transportation for competitions.
• Develop volleyball season schedules.
• Fundraise and generate additional resources through the volleyball booster club. • Participate in athletic department public relations.
Other Requirements: Must posses a valid California driver’s license and current auto insurance.
To be considered for this excellent opportunity the following items must be received by CCC Registry no later than 5:00pm on Friday, February 14, 2020 through the CCC Registry Website, cccregistry.org.
1. Apply at https://apptrkr.com/1766055
2. CCC Registry online application (required)
3. Resume of education and experience (required)
4. A one or two page personal statement relating your training, experience, and teaching philosophy to
the qualifications of this position.
5. Unofficial transcripts verifying minimum academic qualifications. (If offered a position, official transcripts will
be required) (required)
6. Equivalency Application, if applicable
7. Affirmative Action Applicant Survey. (optional)
As an equal opportunity employer, we are required to compile summary data on applicants for employment. We are requesting your assistance in providing the information on the personal and ethnicity section of your CCC Registry profile. The completion of the questionnaire is voluntary on your part. The form will be kept confidential and separate from all hiring documents and will not be forwarded to the colleges/departments making employment decisions.
If you have questions related to the CCC Registry or technical aspects regarding submitting application materials on the CCC Registry website, please contact the CCC Registry directly at email@example.com or call (800)245-4157.
**Please contact the CCC Registry at (800)245-4157 AFTER you apply for this job to verbally confirm that your application is included in this recruitment.
If you have a verifiable disability, and require accommodation to complete an application contact the Human Resources Office at (408) 852-2823.
Please be aware, the District does not reimburse for expenses related to the recruitment process.
Prior to employment, employee must: (a) provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States; (b) be fingerprinted and have background clearance, and (c) have current proof of clearance from tuberculosis.
Gavilan College does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, disability, or disabled veteran status in providing educational services and programs, or in the employment process, pursuant to Federal and State statutes and regulations pertaining to unlawful discrimination.