UC Berkeley has a proud tradition of excellence in the athletic arena and classroom, serving 30 varsity athletic programs and over 850 student-athletes. The Softball program has a legacy of distinction, having produced multiple All-Americans, NCAA College World Series appearances, an NCAA College World Series Championship, and multiple Olympians through the course of its 48 years of history. We are currently seeking a Head Softball Coach to be a stewards of the program’s past successes and lead it into a new era of unparalleled success.
Description of Position:
The Head Softball Coach is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Softball program and leading our Softball student-athletes to exceptional heights on a national and world-class level in competition, in the classroom, and in the community. This includes coaching and developing student-athletes in a high performance culture, recruiting the next generation of Golden Bears, leading and mentoring a team of assistant coaches, meeting and exceeding annual fundraising targets, implementing innovative meet management ideas, and utilizing highly organized administrative and budget management techniques.
The Head Softball Coach will be an inspiring leader, have a record of unparalleled integrity, display the ability to communicate a strategic vision of building on the past successes of the program to a variety of stakeholders, and usher in a competitive brand of softball. Located on campus in beautiful Strawberry Canyon, the team competes at the soon to be renovated Levine Fricke Field, set to come on line for the 2022 season.
- Coaches team at practices and competitive events.
- Assumes responsibility for building a nationally competitive Division I program through successful recruiting and retention of high-level student-athletes.
- Collaborates with Assistant Coaches, Athletic Performance Coach, and Athletic Trainers to design both academic year (in season and out-of-season) and summer conditioning programs.
- Responsible for fiscal responsibility of the program, including annual operating budget, expense reconciliation, and purchasing. Operates program within the department approved budget guidelines.
- In conjunction with various units within the athletic department, participates in donor meetings, events, and public relations activities.
- Work with Athletic Study Center to monitor both individual and team academic performance to ensure student-athletes can excel.
- Serve as key liaison to the broader Cal Softball community, engaging in alumni relations, fundraising and other key stakeholder activities.
- Must have highly advanced and effective interpersonal, motivational, and team leadership skills.
- Must be able to demonstrate creativity, sound judgment and decision-making, be an effective problem solver, and communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Must be recognized expert in individual sport, team sport, and coaching principles for student-athletes.
- Must have supervisory and leadership skills to mentor and develop assistant coaching or program instruction staff.
- Proven track record of operating with integrity and within NCAA and conference regulations
- Collegiate level coaching experience, preferably at the Division I level.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training/experience.
- Must maintain current knowledge of applicable rules and regulations of the Pacific-12 Conference, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), as well as other associations and agencies to which the Berkeley campus of the University of California adheres, and, at all times avoid any and all violations of these rules and standards.
- Master’s Degree
- Achievement of NFCA Coaching Certification (or similar or above certification).
Salary & Benefits: Commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://hr.berkeley.edu/compensation-benefits/benefits
For more information on our department, please visit www.calbears.com. The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Please include a cover letter, resume, and list of three references submitted as a single attachment with your application to Gordon Bayne at email@example.com, with the subject title “Head Softball Coach Application”.