Oakland University Athletics – Rochester, Michigan
Student-Athlete Services Graduate Assistant
Athletic Department Overview
Oakland University Athletics boasts 18 NCAA Division I sports programs and is part of the Horizon League. With 325+ student-athletes, our aim is to provide them a beneficial student-athlete experience to aid in their academic, athletic, personal, and professional development. Every employee, whether volunteer, graduate assistant, part-time, or full-time, plays a critical role in their holistic development.
Position Description / Major Responsibilities
- Oversee the Grizz Academic Study Center, generate weekly attendance/hour reports, provide academic support compliant with NCAA policies, enforce study center rules, train staff, and promote beneficial campus resources.
- Assist Academic Advisor and Learning Specialist with student-athlete class registration (March), NCAA certification (December and April), and academic/learning assistance for at-risk student-athletes.
- Assist with special events, including Staff/Faculty Appreciation Event.
- Assist in the planning, management, and execution of innovative student-athlete development curriculum, special events, and community service initiatives.
- Provide individual and team support to a diverse group of student-athletes, including resume development, goal setting, and career planning.
- Advise the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), attend monthly meetings, meet individually with SAAC’s executive council to plan events/meeting agendas, and assist with SAAC retreats and events.
- Build and manage sustainable program to track individual and team community service hours and initiatives.
- Serve as a liaison to and collaborate with campus constituents (Gender & Sexuality Center; Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; Center for Multicultural Initiatives; Leadership; Alumni; Career Development; Campus Recreation and Wellness) to produce and promote events.
The successful candidate should have a strong interest in Higher Education, Educational Leadership, Communications, Marketing, and Hospitality/Event Management and are energetic and open to working flexible hours. Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume, and three (3) professional references to Ashley Stone, Associate Athletic Director for Student-Athlete Experience and Senior Woman Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, April 15, 2020. Applicants must submit to a criminal background check, subject to review and approval by Oakland University.