Fall 2023 Book Club
Own The Arena: Getting Ahead, Making a Difference, and Succeeding as the Only One
By Katrina M. Adams
Welcome to the WeCOACH Book Club!
- Are you a casual or passionate reader looking to make connections and build your network with coaches while engaging in interactive book discussions?
- Are you seeking more accountability to read an entire book and stay focused on the content?
- Are you a current WeCOACH member looking to learn from some of the world’s most respected leaders and authors?
From the former President and CEO of the United States Tennis Association—the first black woman and youngest person ever to hold the position—Katrina M. Adams gives us a behind-the-scenes look at the leadership skills involved in hosting the U.S. Open, the largest and most lucrative sports event in the world—and lessons that can be applied across business and to any life challenge.
Fall 2023 WeCOACH Book Club Description: Own the Arena
Join your WeCOACH Community peers to engage monthly from August through December 2023 with trailblazer, global leader and author, Katrina M. Adams! Participants commit to reading the featured book and engaging in discussions during scheduled WeREAD Monthly Meet-Ups (virtual). Participants are encouraged to develop questions and discussion topics of interest prior to each meet-up.
If you need to purchase the book: Please use this link.
Erica Perkins Jasper, Director of Athletics, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps
Rachana Bhat, Assistant Director of Athletics, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps
Katrina M. Adams, Own the Arena author, will crack open our first WeREAD Monthly Meet-Up! Must register for the Book Club to receive the Zoom link.
First WeREAD Monthly Meet-Up:
12:00-1:00pm ET / 9:00-10:00am PT
Future WeREAD Monthly Meet-Ups:
October 25 at 12:00-1:00pm ET
November 14 at 12:00-1:00pm ET
December 6 at 2:00-3:00pm ET
Book Club Eligibility and Participant Pledge:
- Only current WeCOACH members may register and participate. A current membership must be maintained throughout the Book Club term.
- Participants must purchase the book (Hardcover, paperback, or e-books are available on Amazon).
- Participants expected to make every attempt to attend all WeREAD Monthly Meet-Ups. We certainly understand conflicts with personal/family obligations, team practices/competitions, team & recruiting travel, etc. will arise.
- Participants should come prepared to WeREAD Monthly Meet-Ups having read the chapter(s) and develop a question or discussion topic to share with the participants during the meet-up.
- Participants are encouraged to complete the satisfaction survey at the conclusion of the program in December.
My favorite aspect of being a WeCOACH member is the opportunity to learn, make connections, and hear others’ stories. The past three years, I’ve had the opportunity to form meaningful connections and relationships with WeCOACH staff and board members, coaches, graduate assistants, and administrators. These connections have led to standing monthly calls, advice calls, policy and legislation calls, and connecting in person whether I’m visiting their campus or they are visiting mine.