Next Book Club Term
February – April 2020
Register below through January 27
Welcome to the WeCOACH Book Club. As a coach, you are constantly looking to find ways to impact your teams and make discoveries from within, we understand that you may not be reading the same books as your friends outside of the world of athletics.
- Are you a passionate reader looking to connect with like-minded coaches and initiate interactive book discussions in a virtual setting?
- Are you seeking more accountability to actually read an entire book and stay focused on the content that can help you make improvements?
- Are you a casual reader, with great ideas, looking to make connections with other coaches?
If you answered “YES” to any of the questions and you are seeking a community to network and meet new coaches, then this Book Club is specifically for you!
Research states that those who participate in book clubs:
- Are more likely to commit to reading the entire book and sharing thoughts about what they have read and learned with new peers
- Stay more informed of relevant topics within their network
- Meet new people
- Have a platform to share ideas and voice opinions of the book with an invested audience
Participants commit to reading the selected book and engaging in discussions during three scheduled Video Meet-Ups during the designated term. Participants will receive questions and discussion topics to explore and reflect prior to each video meet-up, which will help guide discussions.
Book Club Eligibility and Requirements
- Only current WeCOACH members may register and participate. A current membership must be maintained throughout the Book Club term.
- Participants must attend all scheduled Video Meet-Ups. Please have respect for your fellow book club members and those who were not accepted into the Book Club that would like to have the opportunity to participate.
- Participants are willing to interact and engage in Book Club discussion at mandatory Video Meet-Ups.
- Participants must complete a satisfaction survey at the completion of the program.
Video Meet-Up Schedule
Attendance is mandatory at one of the offered Video Meet-Up times per session.
Session 1: Part 1, Chapters 1 & 2; February 24 at 9:30 AM ET or February 27 at 7:00 PM ET
Session 2: Part 1, Chapters 3 & 4; March 16 at 9:30 AM ET or March 19 at 7:00 PM ET
Session 3: Part 2, Chapters 5 & 6; April 6 at 9:30 AM ET or April 9 at 7:00 PM ET
Session 4: Part 2, Chapters 7 & 8; April 27 at 9:30 AM ET or April 30 at 7:00 PM ET
Registration Open Through January 27
Must be logged into your membership account to register
Book Club Term: February – April 2020
“Radical Candor” by Kim Scott
Are you ready to explore how to build teams by challenging directly and caring personally, while forming the best relationships of your career?
Radical Candor Defined
A management philosophy based on Caring Personally while Challenging Directly.
From the time we learn to speak, we’re told that if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. While this advice may work for everyday life, it is, as Kim Scott has seen, a disaster when adopted by managers.
Kim Scott was a highly successful leader at Google before decamping to Apple, where she developed and taught a management class. Since the original publication of Radical Candor in 2017, Scott has earned international fame with her vital approach to effective leadership and co-founded the Radical Candor executive education company, which helps companies put the book’s philosophy into practice.
Radical Candor is about caring personally and challenging directly, about soliciting criticism to improve your leadership and also providing guidance that helps others grow. It focuses on praise but doesn’t shy away from criticism―to help you love your work and the people you work with.
1. Create a culture of Compassionate Candor
2. Build a cohesive team
3. Achieve results collaboratively